Just before Christmas last year I got a package in the mail. Inside this package was a beast of a Space Marine from the very talented and generous Wier brothers of Between the Bolter and me. Now I felt like Christmas had come early! So I sat down at my bench and poured out the bits. Cast in a white resin the finish was really good and the parts went together nicely, with enough spares to have fun with later. Once I’d done a load if fiddling around with white tak I sat back and looked at this monster of a Marine. He’s tall! Primarch tall and an imposing sight. This all added to the conundrum of what colours to paint him. I wanted to do it justice and I knew I wanted to do something I hadn’t done before, so after I’d completed the posing and the bits additions and placed him on a base, I left him on the bench for a while, a menacing presence out the corner of my eye as I worked on other models and gave him thought.
I’d already had an idea for him but I wanted to be sure and I went through all the chapters but I was destined to come back to the original idea. In Midnight Clad! The Night Lords. One of my favorite Legions and also one that I have never in my long years in this hobby have painted. Perfect choice.
Night Lords in my view should be dark. Not blue like some are painted but the colour of blue-tinted night and that’s what I’ve tried to achieve here. It was a challenge to paint as I’d also never attempted painting lightning before and this proved to be very difficult and sorely tested my free hand skills, something I really need to brush up on ( pun intended 😉 Below you can see the result and while I’m happy enough with it I can see room for improvement and I may go back over it to see if I can add to it in the future.
The character idea for him was one of a hunter. A cold hearted killer who does it for fun. I think the gun the Wiers made is fantastic and suits this sort of image.
Getting the chance to paint a model like this is awesome and as with all models you should learn something new. I have with this one as it pushed me to do something I’d never done before and try new ways of painting, like using pigments for shading to try to capture the effect of shadows on his armour, lightning moving across his armoured plates and painting night shade blue. It was a wonderful model to work on and thank you to the Wiers for sending it.
It’s been a while and I’ve been busy. While the Chapel boards take shape and the date draws near I have been busy with some other projects as well. One being an armour kit for making true scale space knights ( you like what I did there 🙂 and it’s been a trial. The idea behind it was to create a multi part kit, which consists of 2x toe armour, 2x heal armour, 2x greaves armour, 2x knee armour, 2x thigh armour, waist, abs and chest armour. This would allow the model to be posed in a variety of ways and I’ve gone through various designs and fails but now at last I think I’ve done it. The images below show the final version all primed and ready for painting as well as a scale comparison.
Assembling a model like this is fiddly business and it took me a while to figure out the method that worked best for me. You basically have to start from the ground up and have a clear vision of how you want it to look, I found reference material on poses helpful. The one pictured above is based on the standard marine next to it and I hope you agree that the pose looks more natural.
So the finished model in all his renegade glory. Once The Chapel is over I will be concentrating on my next project and that’s a True scale Black Shield army and this model was a trial one for the paint job. I’m pretty happy with how the black turned out and found it a reletively quick process. 1 marine = 1 day 🙂
So in the theme of all things true scale, and in celebration of the up and coming 8th edition, I’d thought I’d break out my Nurgle Plague Marine project. These guys will eventually be part of an army with the Raptors that are still needing finishing and a massive Plague Worm as the centre piece. All in all a lot of work to do.
I wanted the marines to be true scale and the Blight Kings box set is the perfect foundation for them. It’s a lot of work converting but it pays off I think and makes for a far more imposing model. Hopefully they will be intimidating on the battle field 🙂
As for the colour pallette, I chose to go for a dirty bone look with rust, blood and oozing sores, with the flesh parts a necrotic purple and flashes of green on parts of the armour.
To see the rest of the gang that still need painting click here
Anyhoo I hope you are pleasently disgusted by them.
So I’ve been absent for a while and that’s due to being the proud father of yet another bundle of joy. My little future Golden Demon winner has been taking up, as you would expect, a lot of my time but now things are getting more managable and so it was back to the man cave for some much needed creativity.
Getting some paint flowing on my Plague Marines is what I’ve started and I’ve managed to get one finished. Overall I’m fairly happy with him, but I know I can do better. The rest of the sqaud has been started to and in the process of finishing them I’ll refine him to match.
By the way I’m loving what I’m seeing on the Blogs I follow. You guys are an endless source of inspiration and I thank you for it 🙂 Keep up the excellent work.