This project was on the back burner for a while. That was until Mr Wadu of Convert or Die said he didn’t like Genestealer Cult Limo’s. The shock of it right!? So I just had to move it up the queue and hope that my efforts will change his mind. If it doesn’t then no biggie, I love them and wished an offical one was released when they revamped the range but we got a truck instead, which is a cool kit, but not a Limo.
Any way. Without further ado here’s my Cult Limo. I do hope you like it and thoughts are always very welcome, especially on what colour it should be.
So my tile system Mag Bellum is nearly ready for release. It’s been a bit of a ride getting here and after all the hard work I have to say I’m pretty happy with the way it’s turned out. This, the first edition of the system, will be available from the beginning of next week and I’ll be hosting the first Bellum Knights day on the 2nd of December, which will be held at The Museum of Futures in Surbiton Greater London, so if you are in the area or wouldn’t mind traveling to attend then please drop me a line. At these events I hope to have a group of gamer’s attend and play the games we love like Inq28, AoS28, 40K, AoS, Kill Team, Necromunda and Morheim all on the Mag Bellum tile system as well as other boards that will be created for campaign events. The aim is to have a Bellum Knights event monthly and hopefully in the future have workshops as well.
Well that’s enough prattling on for the moment let’s get to the pictures! They are all in moody black and white as it’s at the primed stage except the trees, which were painted by Alex and have been found on many a battle field.
This edition is the Skirmish and is 2ft x 2ft. It consists of 16 tiles, 7 of which are blank with the rest having plates that insert into their tiles. The idea is that you build your scenery on these plates so that the buildings or other terrain are not sitting on the surface ( you can do that to of course ) but look as if they are built onto the board. Extra plates and tiles will be available in packs of five as well so you can expand your board and add even more variety to a setup. Each tile is 150mm x 150mm x 6mm and is magnetized by 2 magnets on each side. This allows them to click into place nicely. Now because the magnets come unfitted I needed a way of fitting them into the tiles as they are small and fiddly and my first attempt at getting them in the right way was messy and frustrating with a lot of glue sticking my fingers to everything. So I set about engineering a tool that will make this job easier and less messy.
Introducing the Mag-tool.
I will be doing an animation on how you use the Mag-tool soon but basically it allows you stick and then slide the magnet into place.
The main idea behind Mag Bellum though is that it’s designed to be a space-saving system, so after you’ve finished the battle you can just take the scenery off and stack the tiles away safely in their box. More on that next time but for now some more images of the board in a slightly different setup.
Well that’s it for this update. If you are interested then you can follow Mag Bellum on Face book and Instagram for all the latest updates plus info on up and coming events and campaigns.
With the release of Necromunda not far away I thought I’d do a model inspired by the original concept for the game known as Confrontation. In the fluff they talk about the Ash wastes, a vast landscape of shifting ash dunes and of course the people who populate this ever-changing wilderness, the ash waste nomads. Set apart from the teeming hives the ash wastes presents a scope for some truly wonderful scenery and it’s this that inspired the base. Now I’m going to try to describe how I made it so bear with. I ‘ve been playing around with a technique using resin and water. In this case I used black resin in a plastic cup, waited until it’s nearly at the end of its pot life and then blasted it with some cold water from the tap. You then wait for the resin to cure completely, pour out the water and cut away the plastic cup. Due to its unpredictable nature the results are various and some are amazing and others are a fail so there is some luck involved as to what you get. The black resin offered up the best results for ash like forms and it’s this you see as the base.
The paint job was simple and very monochromatic and I made use of pigments to enhance the effect of the base and to add ash dust to the Nomad. Overall I’m very happy with the result and I even manged to paint it in one sitting! Something that doesn’t happen that often at all.
Below you can see a picture of some other results I got from the technique I just tried to explain using grey and natural resin. As you can see the variations are extreme.